Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Ferry rides and Gili Isles

On the ferry over to the Gilis, I was incidentally invited up to the captain's quarters for a tour... it was random, so obviously I went for it. The captain and crew were very nice and answered all my nosy questions about running the ferry and sinking in the channel. Even with this slight break in monotonous water scenes, I was happy to spot land eight hours later as we neared our final destination. With no cars or motorbikes allowed on the Gilis, the small chain of three islands are famous for their quaint peacefulness as the locals use only bicycles and horse-drawn buggies. Originally planning to stay just a few days, Elaine and I ended up staying a full week, reveling in it's historic bizarreness...






the captain's quarters, a land view from the ferry, a small shop on gili, a young boy buys a steamed egg on a stick from a local vendor

No comments:

Post a Comment